Terese of Lisiuex, Doctor of the Church, 24. Wrote of her little way of pleasing Jesus
Charles Lwanga, Martyr of the Church, 26. Led his many young companions as they were martyred in Uganda.
My friend just turned 24 and he is still living at home. My friend just turned 28 and doesn't know what her next step will be. My friend just turned in her Master's thesis and is anticipating the job search that may leave her without passion for what she has a passion for studying these last few years. My friends are around the world saying,
"I thought I would be at a certain place by time I reached this certain age, but I am not there yet. I am nowhere near that. and I feel like a failure. I feel lost. I feel like I do not know where I am going. I don't know what my vocation is."
I am a 24 year old. Post grad-Post volunteer . working like a schmuk to pay off my loans and I too have fallen to the question of Is there more? Is this what I am supposed to be doing? What have I accomplished?
So many of the saints that I have known--and 3 that I listed above--are lauded for their young death and their strong faith in that short time.
We forget that there are saints too like Augustine, doctor of the Church. and Dorothy Day, servant of the church, who when they were our age, didn't have a clue either. Please don't forget that there is Holy within each of us. We are all able to be holy today. We are all able to honor the divinity within our neighbors, enemies, frenemies, and those unknown across the world. If you are reading this it means you are already seeking that out. So continue to let that spark of divinity within you grow today, as you honor those around you.
Please also remember St. Catherine pledged her virginity at age 7. And died at like...33? Or younger...
ReplyDeleteShe was just quick moving from the start. ;)
Love the last paragraph and the holiness within you! Woo Ignatian spirituality influences!!